State Historic Site
Bismarck, North Dakota
to Camp Hancock...
Located at 101 West
Main Street in Bismarck, North Dakota, Camp Hancock acted as a U.S. infantry post from 1872 to 1877. The purpose of this post was to protect railroad equipment and crews of the Northern Pacific Railroad, as well as the citizens of Bismarck (at the time named Edwinton).
From 1877 to 1894 it acted as a Signal Office with its primary purpose being the transmission of military messages.
Today visitors to Camp Hancock will find a museum housed in the only
remaining original building, the Post Surgeon's quarters which later became the Post Executive Officer's quarters. This particular building, built in 1872, is the oldest
known building in the city of Bismarck. Also on the site is a vintage 1909 Northern Pacific Railroad Locomotive and the 1881 Church of the Bread of Life which was moved to the site in 1965.
Camp Hancock is listed on both the State Historic Sites Registry and on the National Register of Historic places because of its military history. Open to the public May 16th through September 15th - 1 PM to 5 PM (Wed. through Sun.) - admission is free.